I realized the misadventures of Porter and Jacob had taken on legendary proportions when we attended the funeral last year of a friend (Rich Lloyd) we hadn't seen in 10 years. His wife (Marianne) introduced us to their boys in this way, "Remember the crazy boys Dad told you about and what can happen if you don't calm down?" Her boys eyes got huge and nodded. "These are their parents!"
These stories are meant to do any of the following:
- Make you chuckle
- Realize that you had it easy with your kids
- Cheer you on that you too will survive your kids misadventures/ hyperactivity/craziness
- Learn from my coping skills that took me years to figure out
- Enjoy "this" time of your childrens life.
- but my main goal it to let everyone out there know- IT GETS BETTER
"It gets better" was the advise a lady gave me in the mall. There I was- boys in the double stroller and my daughter (Riley- 4 months) being carried in the front back. Porter (2) and Jacob (1) were throwing tantrums and hitting each other, Riley was crying and I was near tears myself. The lady- probably in her forties at the time, came up to the kids and offered them a piece of candy that calmed them down. She put her arm around my shoulder, hugged me and said, I promise you it bets better." Suddenly I could breathe again, life would go on. (Other lesson learned- don't try to take the kids to the mall)
Now I am that woman in her forties and it is better.